Tuesday, December 30, 2003

How I Spent My Christmas Holiday

I'm out of the hospital and back to work today.
My fingertips are still numb, but I'm not in excruciating pain anymore.

On Christmas eve, I began getting numb in my left arm, from my shoulder down to my fingertips.
OK...that's a sign, I thought. Is it my heart? some kind of disease? Then the next day or two, things progressed from numbness to severe pain. This past Saturday morning, about 4 a.m. I couldn't bear the pain anymore and had my son take me to the ER. After a shot of Demerol that didn't kill the pain and and X-rays, I was admitted to the hospital. A Catscan later, they were telling me that it looked like I had a problem with my C-7th vertebrae. Thanks...just what I needed.

But I couldn't think of any trauma that I'd suffered to cause a problem with my disc. Neck traction, pain medication injections, many blood tests, and then an MRI. It turns out that I have an arthritic problem with my vertebrae. And I find that this is something that runs in my family...mother...sisters.

I got to meet a nice couple while hospitalized. O.J. (actually Orville) was my roommate with acute appendicitis (at age 62).
He and his lovely wife Rose proved to be very sociable fun new friends. We'll be doing New Years Eve together (if he gets out in time )

No comments: