Monday, June 06, 2005

Life in Babylon

When I was his age, I didn't know what I was doing.
age 18...high school graduation...new first job for 4 months.
Then after three months I became a beauty school dropout.

age 19...a new job...moved to Baltimore...became a Christian.
I moved back to Ohio...another new job.
I quit the job...read Luke, and forsook all to follow Jesus.

age 20...I had left everything...my life was what I carried on my back.
I wandered the roads of this country; out, into the highways and hedges
compelling them to come in. I had fled Bablylon and was in The Way.

age 21...when I was his age...I had traveled to just about every State in the union.
I often phoned my mom to assure her I was OK.
I posted her letters to convince her to also leave Babylon.
I searched my soul...and changed my mind.
I left the road and returned home.

By the time I was his age, I'd lived four long years on my own.
I'd experienced the world in a way that few ever do.

age 22...I watched the fall of Saigon on TV.
I returned to the care of my parents...and my home. They helped me on my way.
I learned with patience and baby steps how to live back in The World.
I embraced the system.
I returned to Babylon.

No comments: